Welcome

thanks for visiting! As this is my first EVER blog, I think some info on my background is important. My name is Nicole, I am a mother of 2, wife of 9 years and interior designer. My life as a designer has been interesting thus far. I have worked for a large builder (who shall remain nameless ;-) designing model homes as well as an interior designer for Drexel Heritage in Colorado Springs. I have always worked for someone else and am ready to try this thing out on my own. As I find myself currently unemployed (urg) I dont see a better time than now to start the ball rolling on my passion for design. You can expect me to provide tips, tricks, answer questions and share with you the many wonderful design finds I come across. So please please if there is something you are interested in knowing, let me know. and here we go......

Friday, February 12, 2010

Design Myth # 2: Don't Mix your Patterns...Boo

Design Myth #2: DONT mix patterns... boo
This is one myth that really really digs at me. Mixing patterns is one way to really make your space unique and individual. The only "rule" to mixing patterns is that they all have some common thread, not EVERYTHING goes together obviously, so use discriminating taste, and your design will sing. Here are some tips to make mixing fabrics easier:

Pick fabrics with patterns in different scale; if you choose an large medallion print as your inspiration fabric, choose, for example, a wide stripe, small floral and a textured pattern on your other pieces.

Distribute your weight: dont leave ALL of the patterns on 1 side of the room, this is a sure-fire way to make your space seem imbalanced. Rotate them throughout the room to even it all up. You could use a pattern on pillows,window treatments, a chair, ottoman, rug etc.
Dont mix your color saturations: Keep your hues on the same wavelength, mixing primary colors with pastels will probably not work; I'm not saying its impossible, but very tough to pull off


Consider all elements: If you have an oriental rug that you adore, mix fabrics that are not going to compete with this large scale pattern in the room. I would pick textured patterns, and more geometric shapes as opposed to large floral prints, medallions, and paisleys that try to steal all of the attention.

Think about the materials: I'm talking about the weight and feel of the textile here. Every fabric has a personality some are drama queens, some are sportier, others high society, some have a woodsy feeling, while others are like the southern debutante. I wouldn't go mixing a sporty fabric with the high society fabric. It would seem strange if you had an embroidered silk sitting next to a cotton calico print. Its like the people you surround yourself with, they all share commonalities with your personality and lifestyle, your textile selections should do the same.





Here are some great instances in which mixing pattern is super fab:
everything from traditional, urban, french provencial, southern chic and modern designs







www.access.decorati.com/
www.thehaystackneedleonline.com/whats-in-store/
www.home.howstuffworks.com/
http://www.countryliving.com/
http://www.myhomeideas.com/
http://st.houzz.com/simages/28024_0_8-9647-modern-living-room.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment