Welcome

thanks for visiting! As this is my first EVER blog, I think some info on my background is important. My name is Nicole, I am a mother of 2, wife of 9 years and interior designer. My life as a designer has been interesting thus far. I have worked for a large builder (who shall remain nameless ;-) designing model homes as well as an interior designer for Drexel Heritage in Colorado Springs. I have always worked for someone else and am ready to try this thing out on my own. As I find myself currently unemployed (urg) I dont see a better time than now to start the ball rolling on my passion for design. You can expect me to provide tips, tricks, answer questions and share with you the many wonderful design finds I come across. So please please if there is something you are interested in knowing, let me know. and here we go......

Thursday, February 11, 2010

Mirror, Mirror

So while we are on the topic of pretty rooms, I thought I'd share one of my all time favorite elements of design that is guaranteed to up the lovely quotient: mirrored furniture. Mirrored pieces originated in pre-Roman times but were made famous in 18th century France when eglomise was re-introduced and made popular during the Rococo period.
Eglomise is the process in which gold or silver leaf is gilded onto the back of the mirror, the end result looks like this mirror and console.


In the 20th century mirrored pieces were made popular during the 30's and 40's glamour of old hollywood. Today, mirrored pieces can be used in many different styles. Just dont use them in excess, you dont want to live in a fun house.  Incorporate 1 piece in a highly visible area; these pieces are show stoppers and should be seen. They can be very affordable as well. Some of my favorites come from horchow, and are a bit pricey, however, with a little research you you can snag some of the pieces shown for between 300-800 dollars.  Like these beauties below found at pottery barn, overstock, and z gallery.




Visually, mirrored pieces are light and airy, they are also perfect in small spaces as they reflect light and create a brighter surrounding space. The history and design of mirrored and eglomise pieces are just perfect for the romantic room.







No comments:

Post a Comment