Welcome

thanks for visiting! As this is my first EVER blog, I think some info on my background is important. My name is Nicole, I am a mother of 2, wife of 9 years and interior designer. My life as a designer has been interesting thus far. I have worked for a large builder (who shall remain nameless ;-) designing model homes as well as an interior designer for Drexel Heritage in Colorado Springs. I have always worked for someone else and am ready to try this thing out on my own. As I find myself currently unemployed (urg) I dont see a better time than now to start the ball rolling on my passion for design. You can expect me to provide tips, tricks, answer questions and share with you the many wonderful design finds I come across. So please please if there is something you are interested in knowing, let me know. and here we go......

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Design a Room Around This......

February in Colorado is often dreary and cold. I am CRAVING spring! Fabrics like this beautiful watercolor

print make me happy this time of year! Therefore, I'm using this fabric as the inspiration behind this weeks

design a room around this....





I LOVE watercolors and there are so many beautiful colors to be inspired by. I often try to impart on clients the idea that keeping your staple pieces neutral is a good idea, this way you are free to change your design easily and without spending a ton of money

This fabric is so gorgeous I would love to reupholster a chair such as this:


If you have a solid colored sofa in tan, brown, taupe, white, olive, grey, blue or even a golden yellow you can add


in a fabric like this with other colorful accents to make a fun, springy design.




Add in throw pillows in saturated colors pulled directly from the staple fabric, you can always use them in future designs as well because they have simple, geometric patterns and use a single color

 
Use a wall color that is a muted color: such as sherwin williams rice paddy (SW 6414), colonial revival stone (SW 2827) roycroft pewter (sw 2848), or downing straw (sw 2813)
I would add some warmth to the design with metals and warm woods. Use metal lamp bases instead of glass or porcelain, mirror frames that are oxidized instead of painted and find a few interesting metallic accessories



and dont be afraid to mix your metals, thats what gives design some personality, just dont go bananas with it.
add something textural: like a sisal rug on the floor, a wooden bowl with a considerable grain pattern like this birch one found at borisbadinovs etsy store borisbadinov

 
support your indie artist with some art sketches like these prints from JenniferDowney's etsy store:




www.housebeautiful.com

www.madelineweinrib.com

www.decorpad.com

www.sherwinwilliams.com


www.potterybarn.com

www.naturalarearugs.com

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=23298386&ref=sr_gallery_13&&ga_search_query=wooden+bowls&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_page=&includes[]=tags&includes[]=title

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment